Saturday, August 22, 2009

Matt Follow Up

Kim Posted most of what was up at GenCon, but heres my last little 'addendum'. First of all, heres a pic of the army I finished Wednesday night at 5 am (our flight was at noon Wednesday).


I played in both the 750 and 1k 40k tournaments and didn't do as well as I would have liked. I think in a lot of ways I really should have brought more troops and maybe 1 less vehicle. The 1k went better, I think because day 1 I faced several factions I'd never really played before and my target priority was pretty bad. The other thing I noticed is that my army had geat difficulty with 3+ armor saves outside of pummeling them with Dreads, which I hope is not so bad once I add termies and maybe get some Vindicators. I went 1-2-1 (w-l-d) in the 750 and 2-2 in the 1k, and I think all my losses were to 3+ armor saves and bad target priority. Oh well, experience is the best teacher I suppose. For what its worth, I think that Warhammer 40k is way more fun to play (even when you are losing) than most any game I have ever played. I had a great time despite my performance and my opponents were all pretty fun to play / talk to.


The other main thing I spent a lot of time doing (especially Thursday) was trying to find deals on 40k stuff, and found two booths that were selling it at like 20% off GW prices one of which had online 'ordering' (they aren't allowed to do it so they make you call them instead of using a website) and $6 flat shipping. In case you missed it, that means that if you order in the US the first item is = GW (with shipping) and everything else is 20% off. I won't be paying full price in the future =P. And Jim, I sent you their card - they sell bits too, which I figured you would be interested in, but they don't list shipping to Japan, so you will have to find out if its better for you. See below for the spoils from GC!


Yes, 2x Assualt Termies, 1x LRC, 2x Sniper Scouts and 1x Vanguard Vets (I like the models) and 1x Building for our home battlefield. Getting to 2k should be pretty painless!

We also bought some games. I got Dominion and the Expansion. More of a card game, but if you havent tried it you DEFINATELY should. TJ introduced us to it, and I think we are addicted. The great part is its not a CCG so no extra card binges =D. You basically build your deck and try to get VPs, really simple and really addicting. I think Kim and I have played like 5 times since we got home =D . Kim played this game called Pompeii which we got with her 50% off coupon. Its pretty fun. Imagine the historical city; you build up a population, then a Volcano erupts and you have to get your dudes out while trying to burn the other players' people alive. Sounds pretty sweet huh?


Other than that stuff I got sick Saturday (pretty sure I was Friday already and just ignored it) and spent Saturday being miserable, but not nearly as bad as Monday when I had to work sick. Feeling better now though =DDDD . I played some Magic and some other various board games and went to the Costume contest on Saturday with my beautiful Farseer <3


Pretty sweet huh? my elite Camera skillz.

6 comments:

  1. omfg I wrote a long comment and my browser split somehow and erased it. Quite homo if I must say. This one will be less happy of a post since I'm pissed now.

    FIRST - Matt, what armies did you play? Did you flame anyone? I thought it was mad fun.

    Second - Kim, did you play a game in your farseer outfit? I think it would be funny if you did, You should slap your opponent anytime he killed a farseer and start qouting eldar fluff.

    Third - Did you guys stay with leann? Seems like you guys had your own hotel and stay away mostly unless I'm missing something.

    Fourth - That sister of battle looks amazing, I saw some pics on dakka dakka.

    Fifth - Vendettas are pretty rape man. I put 3 wounds on a librarian despite invul save.

    There was more but I forgot and I need to do laundry. TTyl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played 2xIG (won both), Tau (won), Necrons (Lost), 2xSM (won one lost one), Sisters (lost), Dark Eldar (Draw). Kim will have to inform you what she played against, know she had Ork, Guard, Necrons, SMs, just not sure on numbers / how she fared against each. As you can see, above, the stuff that had 4+ or worse Armor I usually won against, and stuff with 3+ or better I generally lost against. I think Kim fared pretty equally regardless, but mostly because Wraithlords dont care about your armor =P.

    I know she didn't play in costume, would have been a hassel =P.

    Yes in the sense we were on the same floor, but not in the same room. We weren't in the room much outside of sleeping and when I got sick. It's GenCon!

    Why was the librarian able to be singled out? I assume he had a storm shield since they dont get Inv saves from base gear so how many wounds did you put on? < 9 means you got lucky. Unless he actually took Force Dome, which means you could hit him 4 times and get that many, because Force Dome sucks (5+ Inv is better than nothing, but not really protection in any sense. A Rhino gives better protection =P).

    ReplyDelete
  3. he was in a rhino, then he popped out to try and do some psyic power on my vendetta with a template. Dunno why he got out. He broke stelek's number 1 rule. But I think he knew it was about to get blown the eff up next turn since I had 3 meltas inside waiting to come out and rape him next turn if he didn't. Remember my vendetta has three twin linked las cannons and 2 heavy bolters :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also any idea on whether or not if I take inquisition storm troopers for troops, if that satisfies my troop choice because they are from a dif codex? I can't find the rule anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, says so in the Daemonhunters/Witch Hunters codex. You would have to fulfill it in base codex, and add allies to it; they don't substitute. Page 21 under the 'Using Daemonhunters as Allies box' if you have the codex.

    ReplyDelete